The village of Cushing was incorporated in 1914 with 116 inhabitants, but it suffered several disastrous fires, causing residents and businesses to move away. In 1999 another fire claimed the last remaining business, the “Bum Steer” bar. At that time Cushing had 60 inhabitants.

The Bum Steer reopened as “Hillbillies Bar & Grill” in 2003 under the management of Carey & Nancy Miller, who live nearby.